Sunday, July 4, 2010

Days 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, & 20 ... and 21. (PART FOUR)

Part four of the post.













That night we ate a sponsored dinner at Calico, a really great gourmet pizza restaurant. We ate outside and watched little kids get beaten at soccer by kids who were slightly less little. On the way back our whole caravan pulled over to see this moose (again no antlers):


Day 19:
We stayed at a Presbyterian (I think) church that night. The next day was another day off, but it was packed with awesome things. We woke up and went to an all you can eat breakfast buffet. Delicious. Then we went white water rafting. It was mostly class 1 or 2, but there were some class 3 rapids. It was really really fun. We got to jump out (or throw each other out) at a few places along the 8 mike trip. Some memorable moments were James's bloody nose,
jumping in and climbing over the front of the raft just to have Alex thrown into me, pushing me back into the water, and looking back to the second raft passing through a wall of water and seeing Kent smash through the wave paddling like his life depended on it.

After rafting me went to a ski resort where we could use the pool and hottub and, most importantly, the alpine slide. It was bassically a bobsled couse made of concrete and plastic that you rode down on a little cart with a brake. It was awesome. I got a first person view of the slide, so remind me to show you next time I see you, because it's pretty cool. Here are some pictures:


(Fred, Jared, James)





We had subway for lunch and dominos for dinner. I went to a bike shop and bought a new back tire because my old one had a slash in it for a few days. This new one is called an Armadillo, and has a no-flat garuntee. If I have any problems in the first 90 days I can bring it to any shop that carries Armadillos and swap it out for a new one, which works perfectly for my trip. It is red on the side. You can see it in my next picture.

Day 20:
We rode from Jackson to Dubois, Wyoming. We racked out of the city and for a brief stretch of construction after lunch, so it wasn't that long of a ride. I forget, but I think it was about 80 miles. Here are some pictures from the place where we ate breakfast and started our ride for the day:





The elevation change from the place I am standing (6000 ish feet) to the tallest peak in th background (13,000+ feet) is taller than the highest mountain on the east coast.

Here is a picture of me and three other morans at a cool sign we rode by that day:




We climbed to over 9000 (lol, it axtually applies) feet at one point, which is the highest we will reach this entire summer.

We stayed at the high school in Dubois. We had a sponsored dinner at the school, cooked by the Wyoming Cattlewomen. Dubois was a cool little town, and we walked around for a litke bit. Kenny and Matt and I went to a gas station to get ice cream and we saw a guy drive up with road kill hanging out of his bumper, wash his front window, and drive away.

Day 21:
Wow, this is taking a really log time to type. I bet it's going to take an hour to upload, with all these pictures.

Today we rode from Dubois to Shoshone, Wyoming. It was about 103 miles. It was pretty hot (one sign we saw said 96 degrees), but as usual the views were really cool. The scenery started to shift to more badlands-like land, with colored rocks and plateaus, but with all the irrigation projects of the last century, there were still a lot of crop fields.

Location:Shoshone, Wyoming

1 comment: