Saturday, June 12, 2010

Days 3 & 4

Days 3 & 4

Yesterday was day three. The church we were staying at sponsored our breakfast and had a smoothie bar; it was delicious. We departed from Wenachee and rode about 70 miles east to Coulee City, WA. The ride was beautiful, passing through huge gorges and wide open fields. It truly amazes me how diverse the state of Washington is, even the few hundred miles I have seen so far. Here is one of the views along the way:



I won't be taking very many view pictures because there is no way a camera can get the perspective that human eyes can get when viewing things this big.

We had a crew chief lunch, or Drew's Cafè as we like to call it. As we stopped, a reporter from the local newspaper asked about us and took our picture and interviewed me and two other cyclists. Here is a picture of our lunch stop.


We stayed at a middle school. This school was super lucky, and I was making unbelievable trick shots with the basketball. We will be staying in a lot of school gyms, so I think we will all be very good at basketball by the end of the summer. At dinnertime we had our first encounter with the Cattlewomen, who cooked us some barbeque beef sandwhiches. After dinner the team went to see a cool canyon and I was left behind in the bathroom. They came back and picked me up.

Later when most of the guys had gone out to a bar, a group of us that couldn't or didn't want to drink we out exploring. We went to a gas station with a grille and icecream shop inside. The woman at the register remembered the guys coming through town the year before. I fell down trying to sit down onto a chair because my muscles locked up or something. I had a corn dog. Also I saw a sign on a closed store that gave the hours of operation as seen below:


Monday to Monday? What? Why not Monday to Sunday? This is crazy.

Anywhoo, today was the shortest day yet. We rode only 30 miles from Coulee City to Grand Coulee City, WA. Here is a picture of some other guys riding and a picture of me with the river in the background:





We are staying at a middle school again but this gym is not lucky. We had a tour this afternoon of the Grand Coolee Dam. It produces more power than any other dam in North America. Here are some pictures:









I need to go do 7 minute abs. I ripped the audio for the video off of YouTube before I came and put it on my iPhone. Some of us have been doing it every day. Also, most of the us are doing a push up for every mile we bike, twice the distance for the day if we get racked. Tomorrow is our first century (100+ mile day). Sorry I am writing in such poor style. It's annoying typing on this phone. I really want to get a lot of details down for memories later though.

Oh, also I am trying to solve the 5x5x5 Rubiks Cube (the Professor Cube) on my own by the end of the summer without looking up any strategies. This is how far I am:





I'm really proud of myself so far, because I never figured out how to solve a regular 3x3x3 Rubiks cube; I looked online for a solution strategy when I had figured half of it out (the first two out of three layers, i.e. the easy ones). I'm viewing this as an opportunity to redeem myself. I just need to learn how to swap the last two unmatched middle tredges (pieces with two faces). Once all the tredges are in correct groups of three I can solve the whole cube easily as if it were a 3x3x3 cube, moving the middle three pieces as one.

Also, to those of you who are wondering why I'm almost done with the Professor Cube but you still haven't received a thank you note, the cube didn't take that long, and it can be done in the car... I'm getting to them slowly but surely... kind of. Jeez I need to finish those. Okay, peace.

- Posted from my iPhone

1 comment: